[hpsdr] New RF Digitizer

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 06:46:57 PST 2006

Hi all,

I guess the SDR-IQ is supposed to be a less expensive version of the
SDR-14 according to what they were saying on the SDR-14 yahoo group.

SDR-IQ Comments:

1. The price looks much better vs the $1200 for SDR-14.  It appears to
be a nice compact board.

2. They are using the Atmel AT91SAM7S256 microcontroller with USB 2.0
full speed interface.  Note that the USB on the Atmel operates at full
speed (12 MSPS) not high speed (480 MSPS).  This limits the real time
bandwidth they can move over the USB interface.  It appears that 192
kHz is the upper limit for the SDR-IQ.  The largest packet size the
the AT91SAM7S256 supports is 64 bytes which is also a limiting factor.
 It appears that the 4 endpoints share a 392 byte FIFO in the ATMEL
chip.  The 12 MSPS is not much of an improvement over the SDR-14 which
uses a FTDI USB chip.  A CPLD with the Cypress CY7C68013A  (FX2) would
have given USB high speed connectivity.   The Atmel and the FX2 are
almost exactly the same cost.  A MAX II CPLD would add about $4. I
assume the designers of the SDR-IQ were more familiar with
microcontrollers than FPGAs/CPLDs?

3. I assume they have some SRAM or external FIFO for non-real time
spectrum scans wider than the 192 kHz that the USB interface can
handle.  This allows a wide bandwidth to be sampled into on board
memory and to be read out slowly by the microcontroller to USB.

HPSDR Mercury Comments:

1. FPGA vs DDC chips:  The DDC function can be done in either a FPGA
or a dedicated DDC chip like the AD6620 that the SDR-IQ uses.  The
AD6620 handles 14 bit data and 67 MSPS which makes it unsuitable for
use with the LTC2208.  Two possibilities are the AD6636 or the TI
GC5016 DDCs.  Both are BGAs with 256/252 balls.  The AD6636 can  take
16 bit inputs up to 150 MSPS and the GC5016 can take 16 bit inputs up
to 160 MSPS.  The GC5016 is actually a DDC/DUC combined where the
AD6636 is a DDC only.  Since both are BGAs we could also go the route
of using a larger FPGA in BGA package to implement the DDC functions.

2. The AD6636 has four or six channels depending on part suffix.  That
means that the input from the LTC2208 can be processed by any or all
of the 4/6 channels and the output of these 4/6 channels can be
interleaved over the USB interface.  For example, you could have the
first channel covering 500 kHz of 160 meters, the second covering 500
kHz of 80 meters, the third covering 500 kHz of 40 meters, and the
fourth covering 500 kHz of 20 meters all at the same time over the
high speed (480 MSPS) USB interface we use in OZY.

3. Using a large enough FPGA we could implement similar functionality
to the AD6636.  how large is something that has to be determined.  We
are definitely into BGA packages for this, I'm afraid.

4.  The AD6636 has a digital AGC block for each channel on the input
data and after each channels for the output data.  Whether this
provides enough dynamic range is still not determined.

5.  Since the OZY is the interface to the PC we will able to move a
much wider bandwidth in real time over USB to the PC than the SDR-IQ
is able to do.  Theoretically, it could be >20 MHz.

6.  The big questions to be answered is whether the AD6636 (or GC5016)
is suitable for Mercury or whether we should use a larger BGA packaged
FPGA to implement the DDC functions (and how large to get equivalent
or better functionality to the AD6636?).

Phil N8VB