[hpsdr] SDR questions

Chris Salinas n0ttw at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 20 14:23:35 PDT 2006

Hi everyone,

  You can call me a newbie to SDR. I just purchased the ATLAS kit from TAPR to get on the bandwagon. Since I consider myself 'old school' in electronics and have little experience in SDR except the concept. I had a few questions as I couldn't find the answers on Wiki.

  1: I've seen the ATLAS pinouts and the connections JANUS and OZY board to the backplane. What is the protocol being used for communication on the backplane? Where do I find this information?

  2: The MERCURY board shows a 0-30 Mhz input and output, but is only refered to as a Direct Sampling Receiver board. With the block diagram showing the 4 boards I was assuming that Mercury was an IF board for both TX and RX. Is it just a receiver?

  3: Is there a consideration of having a IF switch board for the use of transverters?

  Any information to get me on the same page would help.

  Chris N0TTW