[hpsdr] SDR questions

Phil Harman pvharman at arach.net.au
Thu Sep 21 05:03:44 PDT 2006

Hi Chris,

I think that most of your questions are answered on the Wiki at

< http://hpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=HpsdrWiki:Community_Portal >

but I'll take a shot at them anyway.

  1: I've seen the ATLAS pinouts and the connections JANUS and OZY board to the backplane. What is the protocol being used for communication on the backplane? Where do I find this information?

  No real protocol just the low level signals that need to be passed from the ADCs and DACs. These basically are I2S format except for the I/Q signals which are straight 2's complement PWM.

  There is documentation for the Ozy board that covers the protocol used over USB 2 to the PC - the general concept is current but I need to update the exact details.  I think there is a link on the web page if not let me know and I will add one.

  We have taken great care NOT to set the Altas bus in stone too early in the project since we have no idea of where this project may lead in the future. For that reason, apart for ground and the power supplies most other signals can be shifted around on the bus using an FPGA or CPLD interface. We will try and stick to that pholosophy for as long as possilble - a few signals seem to be setting down e.g the I2C bus.

  2: The MERCURY board shows a 0-30 Mhz input and output, but is only refered to as a Direct Sampling Receiver board. With the block diagram showing the 4 boards I was assuming that Mercury was an IF board for both TX and RX. Is it just a receiver?

  Not just a receiver but a spectrum analyser plus a digital sampling oscilloscope as well!  Mercury is still in the design stages and we are trying many different ideas before we make the first PCB. I think the Wiki should cover most of your questions but please post again if not since I'm sure others will have the same questions.

  3: Is there a consideration of having a IF switch board for the use of transverters?

  I'm actually considering an untimate Universal Controller Board and the moment. It would plug into the Altas bus and provide numerious inputs and outputs (relays, open collector/drain, optos etc). Most likely based on a low cost CPLD and using I2C as an interface. Tell me more of what your requirements are and what you had in mind.

  Hope that helps

  73's Phil...VK6APH