[hpsdr] SDR questions

Bill Tracey bill at ewjt.com
Thu Sep 21 05:08:00 PDT 2006

Some answers (or not as the case may) be below.

Regards,

Bill (kd5tfd)

At 04:23 PM 9/20/2006, Chris Salinas wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>You can call me a newbie to SDR. I just purchased the ATLAS kit from TAPR
>to get on the bandwagon. Since I consider myself 'old school' in
>electronics and have little experience in SDR except the concept. I had a
>few questions as I couldn't find the answers on Wiki.
>
>1: I've seen the ATLAS pinouts and the connections JANUS and OZY board to
>the backplane. What is the protocol being used for communication on the
>backplane? Where do I find this information?

Hmmm.  We've got no formal documentation of what the proto on the Atlas bus
is - somewhat by design.  The Janus-Ozy connections are documented mostly
in the pin definitions in the verilog in SVN.  There's also a spreadsheet
showing the pin defs in SVN under VK6APH/Janus CPLD

The reason I say this is somewhat by design is the design of Janus makes
the pin definitions rather flexible.  With the exception of power and I2C I
believe all of the pins from Janus go through a CPLD so it's a simple
matter of Verilog to change the pin definitions on the Janus board.

>2: The MERCURY board shows a 0-30 Mhz input and output, but is only
>refered to as a Direct Sampling Receiver board. With the block diagram
>showing the 4 boards I was assuming that Mercury was an IF board for both
>TX and RX. Is it just a receiver?

Not sure - I know the work going on now on Mercury prototypes is receive
only.

>3: Is there a consideration of having a IF switch board for the use of
>transverters?

There's some discussion of coming up with a general IO board that could be
used for switching transverters, filters, antenna's, what have you.