[hpsdr] Mercury: LTC2209

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 21 11:07:37 PDT 2007

Purely theoretical questions...

Compare the Mercury with one channel to the USRP with two 65Msps
channels.  It seems to me that you get the same result in the end if
you use two 65Msps channels in quadrature or if you use one "real"
channel that runs a bit more than twice as fast.  After all you can
divide the fast channel into even and odd samples can get out of phase
two channels.

I know it's not the same, just wondering how the two approaches compare

One more...

Yes clock distribution is hard.  Let's say you did it on the cheap and
found you could not get the phase to be predictable and it turned out
to be some random value like 87.2 degrees or even 720 + 87.2 degrees
phase between the ADCs.  Seems to me you could still compute a set of
vectors even if you don't have orthogonal samples.  As long as you can
measure the "distance" between the ADCs.   Of course this requires
doing trig at a few million per second but see top of message where it
reads "theoretical".

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Office: 310-336-5189  Christopher.J.Albertson at aero.org