[hpsdr] Pico-ITX as possible processor for HPSDR?

Tim Schoenfelder hpsdr at timschoenfelder.com
Sun Aug 12 10:35:39 PDT 2007

I've been interested in a handheld version of this radio.  I believe that
the siren board is aligned with that goal at least to some extent.  To that
end, I've contemplated something with a USB interface such as one of the HP
Ipaqs or their legacy Compaq Ipaqs.  Possibly even using an Iphone...if I
could write an application for it.

One of these has a built-in OS, HMI, and other functionality providing
additional versatility.

Your thoughts?

Tim Schoenfelder
KC0TFL

On 8/11/07, Chris Salinas <n0ttw at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've worked with VIA ITX boards before. The processor on this mentioned
> board could be compared to a 1+Ghz Celeron (P3 Type). I haven't been
> impressed with these boards for serious work on a personal level.
>
> There is a small review on the website for this board...
> http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/pico-itx/default.asp?page=9. You might
> want to read that. I guess Linux doesn't work on it at the moment (for those
> writing linux software).
>
> I do wonder what it would take to design a dedicated computer to control
> SDR that would plug into the Atlas backplane.  Wouldn't need any sound
> capability for sure. It would have a TV out along with RGB, flash drive,
> SODIMM memory.... I could go on and on. But at the same time, it would need
> software written for that computer. Software that would reduce the amount of
> processor overhead compared to Win-doze-based software. Not knocking your
> software Bill.
>
> Just putting my .02 in,
> Chris N0TTW
>
> *hpsdr-request at lists.hpsdr.org* wrote:
>

> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 14:55:40 -0400
> Subject: [hpsdr] Pico-ITX as possible processor for HPSDR?
>
> Saw this initially on Slashdot - and the form factor seems to be SMALLER
> than the standard HPSDR board. If there is enough horsepower in this system
> - it might make an attractive alternative as the HPSDR CPU for stand-alone
> radios?
>
> http://mini-itx.com/store/?c=39
>
> Steve Wilson
> Technical Manager