[hpsdr] High Performance DDS Oscillator source?

CT1IZU as5770972 at sapo.pt
Wed Aug 15 04:34:23 PDT 2007

______I have an idea that I want to try out that requires a DDS with a very low phase noise.  I was looking at AD9954, which performs best with a 1x frequency source.  I am sure that I have seen this come up before, but did not pay much attention to it.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a very low phase noise oscillator for this chip and a place that I can get it from?

- Dan, N7VE_______

You might look at the idea of picking the relevant harmonic of say a 100MHz osc and amplifying and filtering with one of the Murata 3 or 4 chamber PMR filters. This approach was used by both G4HGT and G4DDK UHF/SHF transverters and recently  by I0CCG in his AD9951 DDS implementation. The transverter osillators used Butlers with discreet componets while the I0CCG one used a canned clock.

Someone might comment on how much cleaner this approach might be compared to an active multipier or PLL??

Shel CT1IZU