[hpsdr] Verilog vs VHDL

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Wed Aug 29 15:10:22 PDT 2007

> Which is more user friendly?

Depends on the user ;-)

> I'm trying to decide between Verilog and
> VHDL for a FPGA project and wanted some opinions on the subject
> before I go out and spend some money on books...
>
> I'm leaning heavily towards Verilog since it seems less wordy than
> VHDL, and there are some in this group that are familiar with it.
>
> Any thoughts?

Both camps have their adherents, and both languages are different enough
that it is not always easy to translate between them.

I suggest looking at some code for simple things, perhaps code for an
app note done both ways on the Altera and/or Xilinx websites, then decide.

Most of the work being done on the boards so far in the HPSDR project
are in Verilog.  I use VHDL only because I had access to a decent
simulator for it and not for Verilog when I took the plunge a few years
ago, so I've not been very active in FPGA coding here.

Enjoy!

Lyle KK7P