[hpsdr] Proper posting address for this list

Don Jackson AE5K ae5k at hpsdr.org
Thu Dec 20 06:58:14 PST 2007

Alberto I2PHD wrote:

>    maybe this has been discussed in the past, and the decision to have it working as it is now is fixed, but, if not,
> could it be possible to have the Reply-To field pointing to the list, i.e. hpsdr at hpsdr.org  ?
>
> Presently if I press Reply and I don't change anything, my answer goes to the originator of the message.
> IMHO the purpose of a list is to discuss of the subject of the list itself *publicly*, and so it would make sense to do
> the change.  Thanks.

Yes, it has been discussed in the past and an informal "vote" was taken
early in the life of this list.  If I recall correctly, most list
members did not bother to express a preference, and those that did, a
very slight majority voted for the present "reply to originator" option.

I agree with your argument in general and the only two points against it
might be:

1. It might prove to be embarrassing if a reply was intended to the
originator only, but it went to the whole list.  There is often a
tendency to say something in private that one would not say in public.

2. Back around the time the vote was taken, two or three list members
had been carrying on some off-topic banter on the list that would have
been better to restrict to direct communication (I'm trying to put it
nicely here ;-)   The "reply to all" encourages this type of off-topic
conversation to become annoying.

If there is sufficient interest, we could always take another vote on
this topic.  The character of this list has changed somewhat over time.
  Meanwhile, what I do is click on "Reply All" in my email program and
then eliminate the originator's address and change the "cc:" to "To:"
for the list address.  And yes, I often forget to do this and my message
goes only to the originator.

73,
Don AE5K
HPSDR Discussion List Administrator