[hpsdr] Call for Project Leaders

Ben Hall kd5byb at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 22 19:07:48 PST 2007

Good evening all,

I just subscribed to HPSDR this evening after sending off my order to
TAPR for an Ozy and Janus set.  I've been poking around the archives,
and noted Lyle's (KK7P) call for project leaders.

While I vastly enjoy ham radio/electronics, my formal training is in
Mechanical Engineering, so I'm probably not much help on the Norton or a
1 GB Ethernet Ozy.  (Maybe as an expert "idiot" test subject, as I can
break just about anything!)

But, being an ME, I probably can help with the enclosure project.  I've
got some heat transfer background and have some shielding/EMI/RFI
shielding experience from when I used to design/build/test space station
hardware.  I have access to some neat-o solid-modeling software that
seems to have the capability to do sheet metal, but I'll admit, I've
never done sheet metal work with it.  I've got some thoughts on mounting
the Atlas backplane sort of like the backplane as you'd see in an
industrial VXI/PXI data collection chassis.  (sort of like seen here:
<http://www.vxitech.com/ProductDescription.aspx?PID=162>)  Modularity
and expandability would be key.  A 100 watt PA is probably the biggest
challenge, but not unsurmountable.

But, I'm not sure I can fill the shoes of a Project Leader.  Or, is it
not as difficult as I think it is?

I guess what I'm meaning to ask is what sort of time commitment does
being a project leader involve?  Is it a "one man band" or is it an
iterative, community effort?  I can't see a good design coming from just
my thoughts, as my HPSDR experience certainly will be different than
someone else's.  To me, that seems key to the whole HPSDR concept.

Enough babble for one night.

thanks much and 73,
ben, KD5BYB