[hpsdr] Call for Project Leaders!

George Medakovich George at Medakovich.com
Tue Feb 13 15:03:12 PST 2007

Terry Fox wrote:

>>This all started with an idea about using a PC case.  However, a
>>high-performance receiver might have a hard time coexisting with a few
>>high-speed, unshielded digital boards and provide good performance.
>>Perhaps someone could investigate/develop a good systems-level solution
>>for an ATLAS-based collection of HPSDR modules that would allow
>>configuration into a high-performance transceiver.
>>
>>Need to account for digital noise, thermal requirements if a 100W PA is
>>included, power supply issues, how to shield modules or how to extend
>>modules (LVDS?) to shielded boxes.
>>
>>I'm not talking about a collection of Hammond die-cast boxes with SMA
>>connectors and RG-188 running everywhere; I'm thinking more of a
>>purpose-built solution, the research into which may result in some
>>guidelines for the Horton, Mercury, Phoenix and other boards/projects.
>>
>>***

The Argus project has a plan for a low cost LNA that uses layered
pcb boards with the center layers milled out as an enclosure.
(http://argus.naapo.org/docs/020726.pdf)

This doesn't seem like it would provide shielding as good as a
solid box, but perhaps good enough for a lot of purposes?  Has
anyone seend this done before?

George Medakovich