[hpsdr] ozy / janus

Bill Tracey bill at ewjt.com
Tue Feb 13 21:53:51 PST 2007

Chris did a good job of summarizing what we'll do out of the box.  To recap
and add some details:

Out of the box Janus+Ozy should be usable for audio with an SDR 1000,
SoftRock, Firefly using a modified version of PowerSDR - I expect to add
these mods to the mainline Flex-Radio distribution of PowerSDR once they
are all done   We'll do 24 bit receive sampling @ 48, 96 and 192 khz
sampling rates.   We'll do xmit sampling at 48 and possibly (need to add
software support) 96 khz, 16 bits.   We have the facility to take in a 10
Mhz reference signal to lock the audio ADC and DAC's to so we can be very
accurate for frequency,   We also have capability to hook a key to the
Janus board which gives us very low latency keying since the keying data
rides along with the audio data.   All of this is working today and has
been working for few months now.

We should also be able to control an SDR 1000 via the Ozy USB connection
and a parallel cable from Ozy to the SDR 1000.  I'm currently doing this
bit of code and mods for PowerSDR and would expect  to have it done and
ready for public consumption by the time boards start getting into folks
hands.   This will get us to the one cable to the computer ideal  SDR 1k
folks have wanted for  long time.

One caveat on Janus - it is not a Windows sound card, so you will not be
able to use it with any old sound card program.  I will be licensing the
code that access sound under Janus as an LGPL library so other non GPL
licensed ham radio programs can be modified to use Janus.    The remainder
of the  PowerSDR mods and Janus/Ozy support code is licensed under the GPL.

To date all of the work on Ozy+Janus has been done on Windows -- there is
no reason we could not work with Linux - the core communication protocol
from computer to Ozy is via libusb which exists for both Linux and
Windows.  To do development for the FPGA and CPLD one will need the  Altera
tools which I believe are free only on Windows.

As Chris stated programming the CPLD is via ByteBlaster or suitable clone,
and programming the FPGA is typically done at initialization when plugged
into the PC.  We'd like to be able to program the CPLD via Ozy and USB --
physically we've got all we need to do it, just a matter of writing some
software.  I don't expect this software will be written by the time the
board comes out - there's an existing open source project (
http://www.ixo.de/info/usb_jtag/ ) that does USB JTAG programming using an
FX2 - I'd expect we'd port this over to our environment.   We will probably
need this capability for Penelope and Mercury as I they will likely have
FPGAs but not a direct connection to the PC, so we will have to be able to
program their FPGA's via Ozy and the Atlas bus.

To summarize -- the programmable devices on Ozy are:

FX2 Microcontroller - Code is built using SDCC, code is loaded via USB when
the device is Initialized
FPGA - Altera Quartus Web Edition to develop it, utilities available to
program via USB

And on Janus
CPLD - Persistent device - will be loaded as part of test process with a
useful image.  Can be reloaded via ByteBlaster JTAG header or in the future
via USB and Ozy.

All of the FX2, FPGA and CPLD code is GPL  licensed and is available on the
HPSDR SVN server.  For an experimenter, this should be a very nice platform
to work with. Ozy is quite a nice  FPGA development system.     Janus is an
excellent A/D converter -- I'd love to see someone feed it with a balanced
inputs from a mixer and appropriately tuned gain to exploit the range it has.

I'd be interested in hearing from the experimenter folks on the list what
they hope to do with Ozy and/or Janus.  Hoping we've got  a lot of fun
ahead of us with these boards.

Cheers,

Bill (kd5tfd)