[hpsdr] Bare Boards

Bill Tracey bill at ewjt.com
Thu Feb 15 21:37:24 PST 2007

I'll admit to being surprised at the amount of interest in bare boards,
turns out to be running a bit higher than I'd expected it would be.

I'd be interested to hear from the folks looking at the bare board option
their reason for going that route.  Is it a cost issue?  Or really want to
know the technology and figure building the board helps in getting to know
how it works?   The ship building feeling one gets putting something like
this together?

I'll admit I like building these things.  Having built two sets of these
and done major repair work (FPGA replacement) on one, I'll happily go the
built and tested route on this round of boards.    As others have pointed
out, these are not beginner SMT boards.   The first set I did,  I did w/o a
microscope using a fine tipped iron.  Doable but right at the margin of my
skills w/o a microscope.   The 2nd set I did with a microscope and a mix of
fine tipped iron and hot air and paste technique - this one was much easier
with the microscope - I'll never consider doing 100+ pin 0.5mm pitch parts
w/o a microscope ever again.     The other parts on the board that are
somewhat troublesome to hand assemble are some of the resistor packs which
are a leadless package (Personally, I do hope there's a special place in
hell for the geniuses that came up with leadless packages)

I don't mean to discourage anyone from going the bare board route if that
is what they want to do.  Just interested in folks reasons for building
their own and want to make sure folks are aware how small/tight pitched
some of the parts are.     Actually I'd hope to recruit some of the folks
with the skills and tools to build this kind stuff by hand to get involved
in some of the future projects.

Cheers,

Bill  (kd5tfd)