[hpsdr] Card dimensions, current and future.

Ben Hall kd5byb at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 26 17:15:43 PST 2007

Hi Eric and all...

Eric Ellison wrote:
> Gosh when you go, you GO! It is your honor on the naming! We non-project
> leaders always make suggestions, but you have the final call.

I think I really like Pandora.  I've started collecting stuff for the
proposal in a folder named "HPSDR Pandora."  ;)

> Here is Horsts fine manual on the Atlas board in English. See Page 16 for
> the card dimensions available to Project(s) designers.

Got it - looks great!  I need to study it more and compare to the other
drawing.

> I think for a point of reference for future discussions we should consider
> the enclosure as we would a PC enclosure. The back has the L-brackets and
> outside world connections as they are on the current Janus/Ozy designs. The
> front is the really slick "Live Large HPSDR Control Center"

We may need to have a poll on the orientation.

I'll admit, I'm split three ways.  I'd love to have cables where I can
easily get at them (on the front panel), yet I like the idea of a clean
front with nothing on it maybe save for a power switch, while at the
same time I like the idea of keeping the front panel open for LCD
displays, switches, meters, etc...

> I would also suggest folks on the Reflector publish a 'wish list' of
> features they would like to see if we customize an enclosure.

I wholeheartedly agree!  Send your wishes and I'll compile.

> I'll start:
> Hinged or removable top for access to the cards, with clearance for sticking
> a Pinocchio card in without removing Atlas.

> Windowed, or entire front panel perhaps made from 2 sided PC board material
> which can be etched or machined easily,  to add switches, logo's, led
> indicators, LVDS connections, as the future project boards are added to the
> inside world.

Absolutely on both counts!

The design must be troubleshooting and modification friendly.  Hinged
and/or easily removed tops are a must.

A removable, flat front panel is another must have to allow easy
modifications/additions.

> Be Aware! Phil Covington is going to suggest pictures, and he IS correct,
> they are worth 1000 words!

Ideally, I'd like to put together some slick solid models outputted to
PDF.  I say "ideally," as my current efforts to date with solid models
and lighting/shadows/etc have not been all that "slick."

> I'll see if we can figure some easy way to do picts which are easy to do.
> The reflector does not allow size for graphics etc. Uploads to Hamsdr get a
> little difficult to index.

We could always start a Yahoo Group as a files/photo storage area, or
perhaps this is the perfect opportunity for me to rehab my QTH.net
webpage...

--
Thanks and 73,
Ben, KD5BYB