[hpsdr] [OT] "STAR-10" transceiver?

Bob McGwier n4hy at idaccr.org
Tue Jul 10 13:35:51 PDT 2007

Gian:

Cornell is a well known engineer and has worked in several large
establishments that do work primarily for government customers.  In the
amateur radio arena,  he designed the Dentron MLA2500.

I know that he claims inventor status on the DDS referenced PLL and this
was done for spur mitigation.  I have done no research on this so he may
very well be the inventor.  He is an "anti-spur" fanatic as he asked me
detailed questions about DDS spurs and I found he did not know of some
of the most recent work by Analog Devices for example.  He told me he is
publishing an article in an upcoming issue of QEX on the Star-10.  He
also offered that he would be available to adapt relevant pieces of the
Star-10 to an SDR.    He is fascinating to talk to and when I engaged
him on SDR topics,  he asked ALL of the right questions.  He thought the
SDR1000 was an old style direct conversion receiver so was extremely
dubious about the claimed dynamics (as measured in the ARRL labs).  This
sounds to me like it might be a much better opportunity for us to mine
good technology than the "Picky Star" where the only star allowed is Sir
Peter himself.

Ciao!
Bob
N4HY