[hpsdr] Blackfin

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan vu3rdd at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 09:55:10 PDT 2007

On 7/11/07, Lyle Johnson <kk7p at wavecable.com> wrote:

> > Is there any interest in an Atlas-pluggable Blackfin board to replace
> > the PC and an alternative to Sasquash ?
>
> You can do an amazing amount of work with a 16-bit fixed point DSP.  I
> happen to not be a Linux fan, and suspect burdening a real-time,
> lightweight, memory- and CPU-constrained system with the overhead of
> Linux should be carefully thought out. Maybe it has been, I don't keep
> up with it.  I prefer my free tools to run under Windoze (and not with
> cygwin!), but then again I'm not developing them :-)  And maybe the
> tools you mention have been ported to Windoze!

Yes, Lyle. They are all available in WIndoze too.

I use GNU/Linux for the past 11 years and am forced to use Windoze at
work, thanks to CCS which runs only on windows. I have benefitted a
lot from Free Software projects and have learnt whatever I know about
programming from the movement and am a very firm believer of it, *not*
because of technical reasons but for philosophical/political reasons.

> Sasquatch is not happening very quickly, and isn;t on the front burner
> around here (K3 has consumed my life) :-(
>
> Anyway, this sounds like a great idea, and probably should be pursued.
>
> Go for it!

Thanks Lyle.

Another thought is to upgrade Atlas to a motherboard with Blackfin +
DIN connectors on it. But probably it spoils the modularity we have
built so far.

--
  Ramakrishnan - VU3RDD