[hpsdr] Demeter = HPSDR power supply(?)

michael taylor mctylr at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 08:02:57 PDT 2007

On 6/8/07, Jeroen Bastemeijer <J.Bastemeijer at tudelft.nl> wrote:
> First thing the power supply needs is a name. So I have been looking
> into the Greek gods and other creatures, and I found.....
>
> "DEMETER"
>
> "Demeter" is the Goddes of  grain and fertility , the pure nourisher of

Sounds good.

> What I was thinking about:
> * Output voltages +12 Volt, +5 Volt, -12 Volt (current ratings to be
> detrmined)

Obviously current ratings are an important factor.

> * An optional standby power supply for the OCXO (24 Volt?) and the

I'm not sure if there has been any decision on the OCXO choice, but
the ones mentioned on the Gibraltar web page are 5Vdc and 15Vdc.

> * Input voltage: 13,8 Volt (mobile use), 110 Volt, 230 Volt

This suggests (to me) consideration of using a switching regulator
design for the AC mains (~90-240V AC designs are reasonable common)
to 13.8Vdc, with a LDO linear regulator design with HF attenuation for
the final outputs.

Linear Tech AN-101
<http://www.linear.com/pc/downloadDocument.do?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042,C1034,D11877>
EDN article by Jim Williams
<http://www.edn.com/article/CA6288040.html>

Is limiting ripples and spikes to less than 200uV good enough for us or not?

> * Computer monitoring of the currents and voltages

And case ambient temperature? Possibly useful for remote site or
unattended (beacon monitoring) usage. USB connection?

-Michael, VE3TIX