[hpsdr] Analog Vs. Switching power supply for OZY Janus...

k5nwa k5nwa at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 11 09:09:47 PDT 2007

At 10:16 AM 6/11/2007, Al wrote:

>Henry,
>SNIP
>The SDR1000 runs on an analog supply.
>
>AL, K0VM

No quite, it has an internal switcher to generate +-15V for the
instrumentation amplifiers, it's also a source of noise for a few
people, my SDR-1000 had really bad noise because of a tiny internal
switcher, it was basically useless below 40M. I ended having to add
additional filtering coming in and out of their switcher to get rid
of the noise, but it voids the warranty.

I intend to repackage the SDR-1000 along with Ozy/Janus and it will
use a linear power supply to eliminate any switchers from inside the radio.

Cecil
KD5NWA
www.softrockradio.org  www.qrpradio.com  www.hpsdr.com