[hpsdr] A/J/O has arrived

Tony Langdon vk3jed at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 12:35:53 PDT 2007

At 10:32 PM 6/14/2007, Chris Smith wrote:

>There appears to be no Import Duty, no Excise Duty - just VAT (value
>added tax). I can't understand what value has been added by the carriage
>of these items from outside the EU but then I have always thought that
>VAT was wrongly named in the first place. VAT replaced the more honestly
>name Purchase Tax. Ah! The spin of our unloved leaders.

I'd agree there.  At least our government had the sense to name the
tax appropriately.  It's called "Goods and Services Tax" (GST) over
here, which is exactly what it is - a tax added to any goods or
services supplied. :)

Interestingly, I didn't get charged GST on my package when it
arrived.  I just picked it up from the post office.  I would have
thought it would have been above the threshold (which I was led to
believe around $250 from a boss who used to bring a lot of stuff in
from overseas) where Customs would charge the GST.

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com