[hpsdr] A/J/O has arrived

Deon Erwin ZS1ZL zs1zl at telkomsa.net
Fri Jun 15 00:24:49 PDT 2007

The sales tax system in South Africa has been around for a long time and
began as GST (General Sales Tax) and was later renamed to VAT (Value Added
Tax).

VAT is levied at 14% on goods and services, with some goods and very few
services being exempt from VAT and all fresh produce (read: unprocessed
food) is exempt from VAT.  VAT has been a political football over the years
with some politicians wanting relief on certain goods, while others are
saying that it is the only fair way to make everyone (rich and poor) pay
tax.

Our VAT system has its peculiarities, yet is applied surprisingly logically
in some areas.  For instance, I would pay VAT on the value of the HPSDR
boards, but not for the shipping service if I pay for that service in the
country of origin.

Our import duty also has a peculiarity.  Import duty is generally levied at
15% on radios and electronic goods, but no duty is levied on transmitters or
transceivers.  However, lately I have found that any parcel marked "Amateur
Radio Equipment" passes through customs without being levied the 15% import
duty, irrespective of its value.  Strange, but true.

Mrs ZS1ZL: "What are all these parcels marked 'Amateur Radio Equipment' that
you have been receiving?"
ZS1ZL: "Oh, they are gifts from my overseas ham friends."

Deon ZS1ZL