[hpsdr] O/J Power SDR CPU usage

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 17:30:17 PDT 2007

On 6/25/07, Bill Tracey <bill at ewjt.com> wrote:
> Hmmm ... not sure I follow.   I'm pretty sure the code does not spend
> a lot of cycles multiplexing/demultiplexing the control data stream
> from the audio data stream -- profiling would  tell for sure.
>
> My guess on the cause of the increased CPU usage is the small fame
> size we're using on the USB bus  -- currently 512 bytes.   We might
> get a perf boost by going to a larger frame size - the current frame
> size goes back to the Xylo days when we had issues writing/reading
> anything much bigger than that reliably.  We've learned a lot since
> then and could prob get a bit of a perf boost with larger frame size.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill (kd5tfd)

Hi Bill,

I am using a 512 byte frame size with QS1R on PowerSDR and I am seeing
about the same CPU load that  PowerSDR with the Delta 44 gives me at
96 kHz...  and the D44 is PCI...  with AOJ I see about 20% CPU load at
96 kHz.  I am sure profiling would definitely be useful in figuring
out why.

73 Phil N8VB