[hpsdr] ALEX - Call for comments

pvharman at arach.net.au pvharman at arach.net.au
Mon Mar 5 20:36:44 PST 2007

Hi Glenn,

At the moment the filters do not overlap with the exception of the 17/15m and
12/10m ones.

The filters are really an option - it depends on your location, antennas, local
stations etc. We expect the large signal performance of Mercury and a QSD
receiver to be very good but there may be occasions when more filtering would
be helpful.

Mercury will operate as a wide band spectrum analyzer hence the ability to
bypass Alex when used in that mode.

An alternative is to make variants of Alex - we can have broadband versions or
SWL band versions by changing the L and C in each filter section.  If you can
tolerate the additional insertion loss ( and this should not be an issue on the
HF bands) then you can daisy chain multiple Alex cards on the Atlas bus.

Thanks for your feedback.

73's Phil...VK6APH