[hpsdr] preselector control

Henry Vredegoor henry.vredegoor at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 09:03:21 PDT 2007

Hi All, Francis, Graham,

I think a nice solution would be to have a number of options (or "split"
this project into 2 sub-projects?)

- Make a filters-only board-section (let's call it "Alex-Filter") with some
clear junction to the control section to have simple control, like e.g.
Francis' parallel port control solution
- Make a filter-control board-section (let's call it "Alex-Control") with a
more or less "intelligent" control circuit (I2C, CLPD and the like)

Both on the same PCB, as "one board"

- If you want an Atlas based Alex, leave the board as-is and populate fully.
- If you want the Alex-Filter remote controlled by Alex-Control cut the
board at the junction and populate both boards fully, put Alex-Control in an
Atlas card slot and wire it to the remote Alex-Filter
- If you want to have the parallel port solution cut the board at the
junction, populate only Alex-Filter and do not use Alex-Control (save it for
other control related functionality) and interface/wire it to the parallel
port
- If you want to have Alex-Filter controlled by some other means within
HPSDR (e.g. other existing on board CLPD, other I2C), cut the board at the
junction, populate only Alex-Filter and interface/wire it to the appropriate
interface.

I think this would give people the most flexibility?

Henry.