[hpsdr] Pandora Enclosure Project Proposal.

Kevin M0KHZ m0khz at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Mar 20 08:34:48 PDT 2007

-------Original Message-------

From: Lyle Johnson
Date: 20/03/2007 15:14:52
To: Kevin M0KHZ
Cc: Ben Hall;  hpsdr at hpsdr.org
Subject: Re: [hpsdr] Pandora Enclosure Project Proposal.

Hi Lyle

>Not at present.  I have no details on knobs, switches, displays or
>interfaces. I just know that I seriously dislike operating radios that
>lack them, or whose user interface isn't built around them.

Yes I know what you mean.... Since building my STAR I've become a lover of
DSP radio's....
However for the last few months I've been playing about with a HB version of
the SDR-1000 and have grown to love
The panadaptor display, not sure if I could really enjoy running a radio
without this facility now!

If the Sasquatch display could mimic this functionality it would be
fantastic, a few additional hardware knobs & buttons
Is also the way forward. Really looking forward to Sasquatch developments.

>Just as I imagine it would be a pain to write software using switches
>and knobs to enter the source code and run the compiler, I find it
>awkward at best to use a mouse and keyboard to operate an HF
>transceiver.  USB knobs and shuttle widgets laying about on my physical
>desktop just aren't the same thing :-/

Yep I agree, I have a Griffin USB knob, very rarely get used!

>Sort of like trying to get warmed by a hi-resolution, animated image of
>a fire on a cold winter's day...

Don't suffer this syndrome in the shack..... I've a Hugh multi fuel stove,
when fired up I need to keep the door open..
Even in the depths of winter!!!! Big disadvantage though... It takes about
an hour to get the beast alight and burning properly!

73's
Kevin
M0KHZ