[hpsdr] Pandora Enclosure Project Proposal.

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Tue Mar 20 09:05:03 PDT 2007

Hello Kevin!

> The panadaptor display, not sure if I could really enjoy running a radio
> without this facility now!
>
> If the Sasquatch display could mimic this functionality it would be
> fantastic, a few additional hardware knobs & buttons
>
> Is also the way forward. Really looking forward to Sasquatch developments.

Sasquatch will embed the necessary DSP functionality.  I presently have
no plans to add a general purpose processor to implement displays the
like.  It would be a distraction to have the DSP do this. Kind of like
the Ten Tec Argonaut V, where the display and panel is handled by the
DSP instead of a cheap PIC, so the radio lacks some basic DSP functions
-- like denoiser and notch filter -- because the DSP got consumed
driving LEDs and reading shaft encoders :-/

Looks like one of the highly integrated ARM chips might be a good choice
for this sort of I/O.  A "presentation processor" if you will.

Breaking this out into a separate building block might also make sense
in that it would separate this set of functions from the signal
processing itself.  If it gets embedded into the Sasquatch module, then
those who don't want such a panel would be paying a premium to get it,
and those who only want the panel would be paying a premium to get the
DSP...

73,

Lyle KK7P