[hpsdr] How many Janus/Ozy in one atlas?

Bill Tracey bill at ewjt.com
Sun May 20 07:40:50 PDT 2007

Hmmm -- this will not work with out of the box firmware and software
for a number of reasons:

     1. Janus and Ozy are talking to each other over the Atlas bus -
with two of each  on the bus there would certainly be some conflicts
in the signal lines being used on the Atalas bus.

     2. No provision in current PowerSDR code to deal with multiple
Janus/Ozy boards - there is not mechanism to select a specific
instance if it finds multiple Ozy's attached

This could be made to work -- would not take a rocket scientist,  in
fact it's probably only slightly above a "Hello World" J/O
project.  To do it you'd have to redo the CPLD on Janus2 and the FPGA
on Ozy2 to use different signal lines on the Atlas bus to talk to
each other.     I'd also change the VID/PID on Ozy2 so it appears as
a different device and then build a new .inf file for libusb to claim
the vid/pid.  Last thing that would need to be done is PowerSDR would
need to be modified to look for a different VID/PID on the UBS bus to
talk to J2/O2.

Another thought would be to try and sort out how to have one Ozy
support multiple Janus's!  I suspect we have the hardware and
bandwidth needed to do it - but it would only be able to support
controlling one SDR1K.  Would also need some software changes since
data from both Janus's would be coming over on a single USB stream.

Regards,

Bill (kd5tfd)