[hpsdr] Power Supply test

Orval Chadsey n6ozi at earthlink.net
Sun May 27 14:42:39 PDT 2007

I just use linear regulator IC's.. Use a bridge rectifier with a
center-tapped transformer and you end up with +/- voltages referenced to
the center-tap which serves as ground. Hang some large electrolytic
capacitors (2200 - 10,000 uf 50V) after the bridge.

Here are some links to IC data:

 http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM337.html    adjustable negative
 http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM137.pdf

 http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM7905.pdf   fixed negative
 http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM7912.html

 http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM123.pdf    +5V
 http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM323.html

 http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM150.pdf    adjustable positive
 http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM350.html

Even better is this part, positive, low-drop-out, both fixed (3.3V, 5V,
12V) and adjustable versions:

 http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM1084.pdf
 http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM1084.html

All of these, and other needed components, are available from
http://www.jameco.com and elsewhere.

For construction and wiring tips refer to the ARRL or RSGB Handbooks.

73
Orval N6OZI
San Francisco, CA, USA