[hpsdr] Voting results

Don Jackson AE5K ae5k at hpsdr.org
Wed Aug 13 11:41:34 PDT 2008

The poll has closed and the votes tallied.  This was the vote on which
way this HPSDR Discussion List (a.k.a. reflector) would be configured
for replying to messages.

This list will remain in the configuration it has been -- that is,
clicking on "Reply" in most mail programs will fill in the "To:" portion
of the reply message with the original message originators email
address.  (Use "Reply All" to include the list in your reply.)

We currently have 815 subscribers to this list.  Of that 339 are
receiving it in "digest" format (messages grouped together and usually
only sent once a day as one large email) and this configuration and vote
has no meaning to them.  Of the remaining 476 receiving list messages
individually, we had a total of 40 votes.  In favor of retaining the
past reply configuration (method 1) -- 24 votes.  In favor of changing
to the reply to list default (method 2) -- 16 votes.

It appears that the majority of subscribers to this list do not care
which configuration is used (as one who sent me private email said, he'd
use whatever method was chosen).

If I recall correctly, the vote taken a couple years ago was very close
(within 1 or 2 votes). This time it is much more decisive, and I would
expect this will put to rest in the future the suggestion that we change.

For those wanting method 2, I would suggest you make the suggestion to
the open source volunteers who work on "mailman" that they implement an
option for users to chose the reply method (such as done with digest
mode).  It would provide all users a choice and everyone should be happy.

Thanks everyone!  Back to real HPSDR business...

Don AE5K
HPSDR Discussion List Administrator

There was once a young man who, in his youth, professed his desire to
become a great writer.

When asked to define "great", he said, "I want to write stuff that the
whole world will read, stuff that people will react to on a truly
emotional level, stuff that will make them scream, cry, howl in pain and
anger!"

He now works for Microsoft, writing error messages.