[hpsdr] New SDR Idea

Michael Kreeger mike at mkreeger.com
Tue Dec 16 13:52:56 PST 2008

I have been pondering a new SDR platform.  I was thinking about a low cost
Digital IF board that has a TI GC5016 Digital Down Converter on it followed
by a Xilinx Spartan FPGA.  The DDC costs about $40 bucks and the FPGA is
about $70.

I know there is some hesitation about programming and using FPGA's.   But, I
have access to a C to FPGA tool that could make it much easier to program
the FPGA.  It might be possible to arrange for others to get access to the
compiler as well.

There may not bee a need for a DSP or microcontroller.  But if there is it
certanly can be a very low cost one.

If you have any comments or suggestions please feel free to chime in.

Michael N6TQZ