[hpsdr] Mercury V2 FPGA code upgrade - beta testers wanted.

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Fri Dec 26 03:30:24 PST 2008

All,

Background:

When Phil, N8VB, designed the Atlas bus he had the foresight to include
a JTAG chain.  The idea was that in the future (i.e. now!) we will need
to update the code in the various FPGAs/CPLDs/Flash memory on the
boards that comprise HPSDR.

We have been very fortunate that the code that TAPR installed in Janus
and Penelope during manufacture has been relatively stable and we have not needed to
update any code to date.

This is about to change since we have a number of active developers
working on the Mercury FPGA code and I'd like to take advantage of the
ideas and features they have added as soon as possible.

Beta Testing:

I propose that we do the Mercury upgrade in 3 stages.

Stage 1:  For experienced users who have the necessary skills and
equipment to quickly beta test the new code.

Stage 2:  For intrepid experimenters who are willing to install the new
Mercury code that has been validated in Stage 1. No hardware tools will
be required but some software will need to be installed and configured
on your PC.

Stage 3: For everyone else.  Either an automatic code upload or a
"click here" application.

For Stage 1 beta testers I've added a directory  called Mercury V2 in SVN here

< svn://206.216.146.154/svn/repos_sdr_hpsdr/trunk/Mercury V2

Load the Mercury.pof  file into the EPCS16 and give us feedback.
Also load the latest PowerSDR that supports the new features developed
by Bill, KD5TFD, using SVN from

< svn://206.216.146.154/svn/repos_sdr_windows/PowerSDR/branches/kd5tfd/PennyMerge/bin/Release >

Existing Mercury users may also want to use this latest version of PowerSDR -  in this case just leave the sampling
rate at 192kHz for now.

The new code has been contributed by  Darrell Harmon, Cathy Moore, Gerd
DJ8AY, Bill KD5TFD  and Alex VE3NEA.  If you, like me, are learning Verilog then have
a look at Alex's code - simply brilliant.

If you are a suitable Stage 1 beta test candidate then you are not going to need
any further instructions.

The new features include:

- selectable sample rates of 48/96/192kHz
- removal of the roll off at the edges of the bandscope
- removal of the need to DC correct the DSP chain output
- >100dB of alias signal rejection outside the bandscope passband
- smaller, faster code
- improvement  to the order dependence of HPSDR cards on the Atlas bus

For Stage 2 we are going to provide code that loads into the Ozy board
that makes it simulate an Altera USBBlaster.  Using a free command line
program you will be able to load the required code into the Mercury
EPCS16 flash memory. Some software will need to be installed on your PC
and you will need to follow step-by-step instructions.  More details
regarding Step 2 later.

For Stage 3 we hope to fully automate the process such that the updated
code is automatically loaded when starting an application or PowerSDR.

Over to the Stage 1 beta testers!

73's Phil... VK6APH