[hpsdr] QSD architecture and image suppression

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 11:12:20 PST 2008

Oleg:

WELCOME to hpsdr.  I have been following your personal SDR and DSP work
for years.

As with all such engineering questions,  "it depends".  It depends on
the care with which you work hard and layout balanced designs.  That
said,  the image is suppressed on the decent QSD and QSE based radios better
than the traditional receivers and transmitters in almost all cases.
BUT,  this is not really acceptable.  We must greatly exceed their
capability because the image, especially on transmit,  falls into the
ham band.

As you already know,  the I/Q baseband signal is a representation of a
actual analytic signal, made from a real signal, so at one time,  it was
in perfect quadrature before it hit the analog equipment.  This means
there is a transformation of the signal after the roof filter/baseband
opearation of the QSD  or before modulation/upconvert of the QSE which
can remove this "distortion" almost completely and in fact, greatly
exceed that of traditional designs.  This is a requirement given in band
images.

This image rejection works well and shows that the performance is just
excellent and you large dynamic ranges and IP3,IP2, good BDR with
excellent A/D's, etc.

Welcome and please stay.  We can use the interaction with great people
like you.

Is your web site with your zero-IF work still available and if so, could
you provide a link to it for all the others to enjoy and admire your work?

Bob
N4HY