[hpsdr] How to fry.....

stoskopf at tri.net stoskopf at tri.net
Wed Jun 11 11:33:28 PDT 2008

In my experience, the little three terminal regulators tend to fail full
on and in a buddies case, popped all of the caps off his MMICs on a
DownEast board.  The older ones also put out lots of AF noise as I found
in an early homebrew rig where noise was injected into a Plessey product
detector.

Switchers just tend to die off.

Big iron linear supplies including the wall warts let spikes thru as the
filter caps don't have low enough RF series resistance to damp them and we
don't use series filter inductors anymore.  A power surge hit my line a
couple of weeks ago from a lightning strike over a mile away.  Only lost a
router and switch, both with wall warts.

We are all living on borrowed time!

N0UU