[hpsdr] How to fry.....

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Wed Jun 11 11:55:00 PDT 2008

This tends to happen when you have a lot of capacitance on the output side
of the regulator compared to what's on the input side.  At power-down the
part ends up reverse-biased, and the series pass transistor shorts out.

A diode across the regulator's input and output pins can save a lot of
more-expensive parts downstream.  Why the 78xx regulator manufacturers
didn't do that is a real head-scratcher.

-- john, KE5FX