[hpsdr] I2C HCI interface

Charles Brain chbrain at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 1 07:09:38 PDT 2008

Hello Murray,

Maybe I didn't really ask the right question.

The actual interface into the system is not too important.
You could use a Bluetooth link or anything you wanted, I2C just seemed the
simplest. When sitting in my office/shack I already sit in a cobweb of USB cables.

What would be needed is a way of sending remote control message to take
control of whatever was controlling the HPSDR be it PowerSDR or SASQUATCH.

I suspect that if it is not in there already adding such a protocol to PowerSDR would
not be trivial to do. Also if and when SASQUATCH became available the PowerSDR
parts would not be needed anymore, so it is probably not reasonable to ask for them.

O.K on the IC7000 of course the bigger the screen and the more buttons you have the
more it costs. I suspect that it would not be economically viable to do this as an HPSDR project.
I was really looking for something to do for my own pleasure that might be of use to others.

I recently wrote my very first piece of Verilog, a simple TV remote control decoder using
a Radio Shack IR receiver module. But apart from flashing a few LEDS on Ozy
when it receives a message, because I don't know how to actually get the commands
back into the P.C and once there if there is any way to then control PowerSDR the
whole exercise was a bit academic but fun for a first project.

Maybe a better idea for me would be to use something like Phoenix and one of the Sharc
evaluation boards I have collecting dust in the workshop for the backend and then add a
hardware controller to that.

- Charles

P.S when I use the word "suspect" it really means "I don't know".