[hpsdr] Mac/WinXP with Janus/Ozy question

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Thu May 22 08:32:19 PDT 2008

Gentlemen,

I'm fairly new to SDR, although I do use the SDR-14/SpectraVue combo
at my QTH for radio astronomy.  I  am currently trying to  to get some
of the HPSDR hardware and software up and running here and I am not
understanding a fundamental aspect of what to expect from the Atlas/
Janus/Ozy combination, I think.  Perhaps someone here wouldn't mind
taking the time to straighten me out a bit?

I obtained the Altas/Janus/Ozy/Penelope boards at Dayton a few days
ago with the intention of running PowerSDR under Win XP on a hard
drive partition of my MacBook Pro laptop (with Mercury too, of course,
when it becomes available).  In the past day or so I have assembled
and tested the Atlas board, have downloaded and installed the USB
driver software, and downloaded and installed the firmware for Ozy, as
described in the "Janus and Ozy: Operation with PowerSDR" manual and
have the PowerSDR program up and running on my Win XP laptop partition.

I am able to successfully run the initozy.bat file to initialize Ozy
and I do get the alternately flashing LEDs 9 and 10 with LEDs 5-8
illuminated, as described in the manual, after running initozy.bat.
With no inputs to the Janus board I/Q port, I am trying to test the
Janus/Ozy functionality by running PowerSDR set for a Softrock rf
board at 7.056 MHz without any Softrock board actually being present.

On the panadapter display of PowerSDR I see baseline noise at about
-135dB on the display with a small (-127 dB) signal peak at 7.056MHz
but I don't seem to be able to get any audio to come out of my
internal laptop speaker, no matter what combination of settings on the
Setup/Audio tab  I use in PowerSDR.

I am able to hear the audio in headphones if I plug directly into the
Janus board audio output jack/port (#7).  I was expecting (perhaps an
incorrect expectation on my part?) that the Janus audio output would
be passed through the Ozy board USB connection to the PC then to the
soundcard in the Mac laptop to enable audio to be heard from the
internal speaker of the laptop.

My question is this:

Should I be able to hear the Janus audio on my Mac laptop computer
speaker or is the principal audio output for the Atlas/Janus/Ozy combo
supposed to only be taken from the jack/port #7 on the Janus board?

Joe K5SO