[hpsdr] HPSDR / PowerSDR hardware selection

Michael White michael.white at zytac.com
Thu May 22 00:27:28 PDT 2008

Hi Bill

  Everything is possible given enough time and money.:-)., bit of a
silly question really. Hope the idea at least goes onto the wishlist.

I am not sure if Mercury will eliminate the softrock/qsd for a good
while. One really useful and cost effective application for softrock
is tapping the IF of older receivers to create a panadaptor and
improve the filters. Certainly the HPSDR users have made a commitment
to QSD and see the O/J as a kind of radio sound card.

How people end up using the TX/RX combinations may turn out to be a
surprise and end up providing new contributions to SDR, so the best
approach in my mind is to allow flexibility (given enough time and
money of course) and not guess how people will try to use it.

I don't see the clocks need to be coherent or continuous as between TX
and RX because most people (except keen CW contesting perhaps) will be
happy with half duplex and can tolerate a turn around time.

Thanks for your efforts so far to support the HPSDR.

73
Michael