[hpsdr] Beating a very dead horse

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 03:11:20 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 1:03 AM, Bill Tracey <bill at ewjt.com> wrote:

> As to #3 take a look @
> svn://206.216.146.154/svn/repos_sdr_hpsdr/trunk/KD5TFD/PowerSDR/HPSDR-1.6.3/HPSDR-docs/Ahti-USB.txt
>
> My understanding on this driver is that the latest version of it is libusb
> based which I think translates the problem into does libusb work on Vista.
>  I've heard conflicting reports. I do not have Vista so cannot say in a
> first hand way one way or the other.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill (kd5tfd)
>
> At 04:52 PM 10/19/2008, Christopher T. Day wrote:

>> Hi, all. I haven't been doing much radio or following these lists closely
>> for the last year or so. In the meantime, work has pushed me to move to
>> Vista. Apparently, the driver for FlexRadio's USB-to-Parallel adapter never
>> was ported to Vista, so my SDR-1000 is dead in the water. Some things I seem
>> to remember from past discussions:
>> 1)      The FlexRadio USB-to-Parallel adapter has custom microcode in it
>> to make the PowerSDR interface simpler and more efficient; this is why a
>> standard USB-to-Parallel adapter won't work.
>> 2)      FlexRadio nor any of us had access to the microcode source, but I
>> thought we knew who did. Was that true? I take it nobody managed to convince
>> the owner to either update the driver or release the source. Is that true?
>> 3)      I thought we at least had the definition of the interface as seen
>> by PowerSDR, which at least raised the possibility of a clean-room
>> construction of a driver. Was that true? If so, anybody know where that spec
>> is?
>> No, I don't want to go back to XP, or at least it is not a practical
>> option. No, I don't have room for another dedicated XP machine. No, there
>> seems to be no way I can add a real parallel port to my PC.
>>
>> Can anyone provide me with a summary of the current situation re rolling
>> our own driver so that I can use my SDR-1000 again? Thanks.
>>

>>                Chris
>>                AE6VK

libusb does work on Vista 32.  I've switched to Visa SP1 and have had
zero problems with libusb.

On Vista 64 there is the problem of driver signing.  You can get
around this by entering a driver test mode on boot, but you have to
intervene at boot time every time.

You can write a user mode driver for USB devices with the UMDF using
WinUSB.  You do not need to sign user mode drivers, so this appears to
be the way forward for USB devices on Vista 64.

--
Phil Covington
Software Radio Laboratory LLC