[hpsdr] GPS 1PPS board

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Apr 6 15:38:59 PDT 2009

Not really -- no matter what system you use, the short term stability
(less than 1000 seconds or so) will be dominated by the XO performance.
  The GPS can't improve that.  What the GPS does is (slowly) steer to
the right frequency there, and hold it there over long time periods.
The magic is setting things up so that the GPS takes over at the point
where its performance matches that of the XO.

It doesn't take any magic circuitry to do that -- G3RUH gets truly
amazing performance from a very simple analog loop circuit, but he uses
a fairly expensive OCXO.

Most of the complexity in the fancy GPSDOs is to get what's called
holdover performance -- basically, to learn the XO's aging rate and even
temperature response so that if the GPS signal is lost the system can
keep steering the frequency to hold the performance for a day or more.
  That holdover performance isn't as big a deal now because there are
plenty of GPS satellites up there, so a design like the G3RUH can just
ignore it.

John
----