[hpsdr] Thor

Jeroen Bastemeijer j.bastemeijer at tudelft.nl
Fri Apr 17 00:48:04 PDT 2009

Hi Phil and Frank,

Phil, thank you for the confirmation. Frank, I think (hope) that your
mail to the HPSDR list was triggered by the short discussion about the
power supply for Thor.
Quote from Franks e-mail: "48 volts with a 1:2 output transformer will
yield about 300 watts"

Can I "convert" that to a 150 Watts PA at 48V without a transformer? Or
is the transformer essential for impedance matching? What would be the
maximum operating frequency with and without the output transformer?

In short: Based on your experience would a 100 Watt PA working from 160m
to 10m, powered from 48Volts be feasible? Or would it even be doable
from 24Volts?

Looking forward to your answer,

73 Jeroen PE1RGE