[hpsdr] Cascading ADC/FPGA Pairs

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Thu Aug 20 16:22:48 PDT 2009

If we use the speed of the internal clock-tree distribution system
as the answer for your first question, the answer is 400 MHz for
the 'slow' parts we use in Mercury.

The sample rate for the fastest ("affordable", commercial, off the shelf)
16 bit A->D converter is less than 200 MHz. (160 or 180 MHz.)

A one GHz total effective sample rate would allow a receiver
that looked at 0 to 470 Mhz simultaneously.

So managing five A-D's running in parallel, on shifted phase clocks at
200 MHz sample rates would not be an issue as far as the FPGA is
concerned.  You still have the ability to shift individual clocks in 15
degree
steps at 400 MHz.

The issue is 'What is the real performance of the A-D?'  Are they all really
sampling consistently where you want them to?  Run at maximum
specification speed, they are only delivering an effective 14 to 14.5
bits of resolution.  Any errors in the sampling process would only
decrease that.

--- Graham

==