[hpsdr] Need help first-time starting HPSDR

AA8K73 GMail aa8k73 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 07:22:29 PST 2009

With the MVUS FMT on 28/Dec I am hoping to bring up my HPSDR,
without waiting for Alex.

Since this is a first-time, other than my Ozy-Janus use on my
SDR-1000, I went to the OpenHPSDR web site and located the
Windows PC Quick Start Guide for PowerSDR.  I am stumped on a
couple of items and need help.

-+-+-+-+-+-

Under the .Net Framework section, it specifies Net 2.0 SP1.  Am
I going to have problems because I have .net 2.0 SP2?  And .net
3.0 SP2 and .net 3.5 SP1?  (Windows XP Professional 32 bit SP3)

-+-+-+-+-+-

Under the PowerSDR Software Installation section, it tells me to
use 'the latest released PowerSDR software from the "PennyMerge"
branch of the open-source development tree.'  Do I still use the
svn://206.216.146.154/svn/repos_sdr_windows/PowerSDR/branches/kd5tfd/PennyMerge/bin/Release,
or is there a more current version?

-+-+-+-+-+-

Does this version support using Excalibur for frequency control?

-+-+-+-+-+-

Under Firmware Programming or Upgrade Instructions, it says
"Install the Altera Quartus II Programmer application (80MB)"
"The latest version is V9.0", but when I go to the site, it is
version 9.1 at 122 MB.  Is this compatible?

Do I also need to obtain a license for the Altera software?

-+-+-+-+-+-

My Ozy, Penelope, and Mercury boards are original, first-run,
TAPR boards.  The Penelope and Mercuries have never been
powered-up.  I recall something about a one-time protocol change
for inter-board signals.  Do I still use
svn://206.216.146.154/svn/repos_sdr_hpsdr/trunk/USBBlaster-Binaries
  ?

Since I have two Mercury boards, after the first Mercury is
updated, can I just insert the second, virgin board in place of
the first virgin board for firmware updating?

-+-+-+-+-+-

When I "Run the batch file Program-Mercury-EPCS16.bat", and must
choose, for example, the Mercury firmware version, do I choose
the highest numbered version folder, Mercury V2.9, or do I have
to do intermediate upgrades first?

Do I need to assume that the firmware to be running are in
folders:  Ozy V1.7, Mercury V2.9, and Penelope V1.2?

Where is the current Janus firmware?

I recall reading something about shorting out a Mercury resistor
of incorrect value to allow programming.  Is that applicable
when using the Altera software?