[hpsdr] Ground: Some questions of a newbie

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 11 07:57:46 PST 2009

Alexander:

I would recommend that Atlas is mounted inside a case, or on a metal plate
with six metal studs.  There are four holes in the corners, sized for #4
screws.

I found the circuit board would bend when inserting and removing cards just
supported at the four corners, so I also added two more #4 studs using
the mounting holes for connector J4.  That way, Atlas is supported
in the middle also.

The support studs can be any length from 1 to 2 centimeters.  The corner
studs will pick up the ground from the Atlas PC board.

The system does not need the ground to operate, or for experimenting,
but would be a good idea for permanent installation.

Spacing the Atlas board off the table is a good idea for experimenting,
also. We had a member leave the Atlas flat on his workbench, and some
metal hardware got underneath the board, shorted out the power, and
damage several cards, so using the spacers-studs for day to day
experimenting
is a good idea also.

--- Graham / KE9H

==