[hpsdr] HPSDR software "roadmap"?

David McQuate mcquate at sonic.net
Wed Jan 7 14:01:00 PST 2009

(especially to Bob McGwier, Johan Mass, Phil Harman...)
    Has anyone been working on envisioning new software to support HPSDR?

Phil Covington is rapidly pursuing the evolution of SDRMax for the QS1R (and
soon QS1T and other new hardware), and what I've seen of his new work looks
very good.  He has some very good ideas, and seems quite adept in
implementation
of both hardware and software.
I very much like the concept of separating the user's GUI from the
"back end" -- the signal processing, and the interface to the actual
hardware.
However, with the new hardware, it'll be difficult for SDRMAX to
efficiently support
HPSDR.

Several recent posts on this list (and off list emails) suggest that the
HPSDR
needs something to replace PowerSDR.  I'd like to see at least a three-way
separation -- (1) a "radio" server that handles the details of the
interface to
the actual hardware, (2) a dsp server that does all the processing of
the signals,
and (3) a user interface--maybe several, so they can be targeted at
different
user needs.  Such separation can result in simplification as well as
more efficient code.

I'm sure I'm not the first to make these suggestions.  DttSp, VR,
Erlang, and
other pieces have been under development for some time.  It seems that HPSDR
needs some combination of these, with additional software.  And C++ with Qt
might be a good choice.

Has a vision appeared, a plan been made?
I'd like to join not only the discussion, but also the implementation.
I'm prepared to start writing code, but I don't want to "re-invent the
square wheel".

Thanks! & 73,
Dave  WA8YWQ