[hpsdr] HPSDR software "roadmap"?

Dave Larsen kv0s.dave at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 14:31:05 PST 2009

Dave --

 All of what you mention is true.   I particularly like Frank and Bob's
approach and have been working on learning the details of DttSP, VR,
erlang,  At work I actively develop with Qt , Qwt and have built small
gui's that talk to a TCP socket with erlang on the other side.

HPSDR is predominately a group of hardware guys that are using what they
can find to make the hardware work. Bill KD5TFD is the main exception
Bill for the time being has focused on FPGA interface and powerSDR
maintaince.  Most of the most active people are interested in software
development but generally work within their comfort box.

I became the HPSDR webmaster in September to help promote the idea of
software projects like the hardware projects. I feel that there can be
several interchangeable parts that allow people to experiment and try
new ideas.

I was thinking we needed a  definition similar to that of the atlas
bus.   Points in the software that the data stream is of a standard form
so that people did not have to rewrite the entire system as long as the
data at certain points was of a well know form.

Frank and Bob have done this in their approach  with an FPGA talking to
a computer program through a interface passing a standard data stream.
On the other side they started with FIFO's and switched to UDP streaming
data for the second interface.  We really just need side boards on the
data chain and document the process so that others can learn the
configuration and add useful parts.  Actually Frank and Bob are inviting
us to join the fun.

Are you interested in helping define and develop such a frame work?

  Dave KV0S
  HPSDR webmaster

David McQuate wrote:

> (especially to Bob McGwier, Johan Mass, Phil Harman...)
>    Has anyone been working on envisioning new software to support HPSDR?
>
> Phil Covington is rapidly pursuing the evolution of SDRMax for the
> QS1R (and
> soon QS1T and other new hardware), and what I've seen of his new work
> looks
> very good.  He has some very good ideas, and seems quite adept in
> implementation
> of both hardware and software.
> I very much like the concept of separating the user's GUI from the
> "back end" -- the signal processing, and the interface to the actual
> hardware.
> However, with the new hardware, it'll be difficult for SDRMAX to
> efficiently support
> HPSDR.
>
> Several recent posts on this list (and off list emails) suggest that
> the HPSDR
> needs something to replace PowerSDR.  I'd like to see at least a
> three-way
> separation -- (1) a "radio" server that handles the details of the
> interface to
> the actual hardware, (2) a dsp server that does all the processing of
> the signals,
> and (3) a user interface--maybe several, so they can be targeted at
> different
> user needs.  Such separation can result in simplification as well as
> more efficient code.
>
> I'm sure I'm not the first to make these suggestions.  DttSp, VR,
> Erlang, and
> other pieces have been under development for some time.  It seems that
> HPSDR
> needs some combination of these, with additional software.  And C++
> with Qt
> might be a good choice.
>
> Has a vision appeared, a plan been made? I'd like to join not only the
> discussion, but also the implementation.
> I'm prepared to start writing code, but I don't want to "re-invent the
> square wheel".
>
> Thanks! & 73,
> Dave  WA8YWQ

Dave Larsen, KV0S