[hpsdr] Mercury update fails

David McQuate mcquate at sonic.net
Fri Jan 9 14:33:20 PST 2009

I attempted to update Mercury to V2.3
(running Win XP Pro 2002 SP3)

Following the instructions in the README.txt,
after running usbblaster.bat, I installed the driver
as in altera up_usb_blstr.pdf, but (after reboot), when I looked in
Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager, the
Altera USB-Blaster was in the Sound, video and game controllers
group, rather than in the Universal Serial Bus controllers group.

[
The Altera .pdf said to select the Sound, video and game controllers
group, rather than the USB controllers group. (???)
]
When I connected Atlas with Ozy and Mercury, the
USB-Blaster driver disappeared from Device Manager.

When I attempted to run Program-Mercury-EPCS16.bat, it failed,
saying the programming cable was not connected.

When I again rebooted, XP reported a serious system failure
due to a USB driver, and another one due to a video driver.

Can I somehow entice XP to reload the blaster driver, and should I
select the USB controller group?

Thank you,
Dave  WA8YWQ