[hpsdr] TS-B2000 vs Mercury

Daniel Quigley dquigley at msn.com
Sat Jan 3 21:01:19 PST 2009

Thanks for that useful tip Phil - I love advice like that.  For that recording the AGC-T was set at 101.  Following your tip, tonight, it is at 85-ish - so it is now "lower" than it was before.  On another note, a friend ran the two audio files through an analyzer and noted that Mercury was "flat" and the Kenwood was "notchy".

Mercury rocks!
Dan

From: phil at pharman.orgTo: dquigley at msn.com; hpsdr at lists.hpsdr.orgSubject: Re: [hpsdr] TS-B2000 vs MercuryDate: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 12:55:34 +0900
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the recording and Mercury sure sounds nice. One suggestion, to my ear it sounds like you have the AGC threshold set too low. How I  normally run PowerSDR is to find a spot on the band where there is just noise and then increase the AGC-T control from a  low value until the band noise does not increase any more.  Back the control off just a little and that way the AGC is not acting on noise.

I think there is a bug in the AGC code that I need to talk to Bob N4HY about since if you set the AGC-T control too high then weak signals actually distort.

73's Phil...VK6APH