[hpsdr] Mercury arrived

Ross Stenberg radio at charter.net
Sat Jan 17 14:56:03 PST 2009

Custom charges in the UK remind me of property taxes in the USA, it varies
and depends.

    73 Ross K9COX

>>>I did much less well than you!  For a start the price on the customs
label has been corrected (who knows where) by hand to the correct price
including carriage, which is actually the way VAT is supposed to be
worked out.  This is $362 rather than $329.  I haven't got the exchange
rate they used, but I was charged £36.21 VAT (suggesting £241.40 which
is about right at $1.50 to the £).  However I have also been charged
import duty of £8.61 as well as the collection fee of £8, making a total
of £52.82.  I wonder if it is worth me arguing with them, do you know
the import duty rules for amateur radio sub-assemblies?