[hpsdr] Mercury v2.4 -- still distorted audio

Doug Bade kd8b at thebades.net
Mon Jan 26 08:06:13 PST 2009

I guess I do not think a dual core hyper-threading 1.6ghz processor
with usb 2.0, 2gb ddr2 and a 566 FSB subsystem is severely
limited.... it is far more mips than my first PowerSDR computer...

Especially in light of Phil Covington and others comments that it can
do the job fine if the code is optimized (as apparently some other
code has been) ....

We can more often than not fix a processing problem by throwing more
mips at it, generating more heat and larger boards....   but it does
not take a 12 GA to hunt mice....although that works too....

Some of us are looking for quasi embedded solutions and a 13w
processor on a 7x7 pcb looks really nice for field day... even if I
have to trade 192k/1024 or 96k/2048 for the luxury of not dragging my
Q6600 quad core box around.. so be it... but if some code
optimization and/or bug-age can be located and corrected.. I will be
a happy camper... I own 3 Q6600 based computers, albeit tasked for
other things, none of them is remotely as portable as the Atom 330
box.. nor intended to be...

It seems like the hardware is magnifying another issue.... not THE
actual issue...

It sounds like we have a solution coming that will address other
things as well from comments I have seen on this thread.. I for one
will be quite content to wait until it happens.. and am NOT unhappy
now. I guess we all have different mission requirements....

Doug
KD8B