[hpsdr] Call for Comments and Discussion - OzyII

Larry Gadallah lgadallah at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 07:34:08 PDT 2009

2009/7/27 Phil Harman <phil at pharman.org>:
> Hi Larry,
>
> This should be quite straighforward. I did a similar thing when developing
> Mercury by interfacing an LTC2208 evaluation board to the 20 pin IDC header
> on Ozy.
>
> If you make a small PCB with an IDC header and PHY etc that will fit on the
> 20 pin header on Mercury then you should be able to quickly test the idea.
>
> That would work as a standalone receiver and since you could remove all the
> Atlas bus interface code would leave plenty of room for the PHY interface.
>
> When developing Mercury as above I was able to get the complete receiver
> plus USB interface in the Ozy C2 FPGA - a bit of a tight fit but it worked
> as a single board receiver just fine.  Given the Mercury FPGA is a C3 you
> should have plenty of room.
>
> If you have a PHY chip in mind to test this idea then please let me know
> since it would perhaps save duplication of effort.

How about one of the same PHYs being proposed for Ozy II? Perhaps then
the associated FPGA code could be reused for Ozy II also, if it was
crafted carefully to make it modular (btw - I'm a FPGA/Verilog savant,
I have no idea if that's possible or not).

--
Larry Gadallah, VE6VQ/W7                          lgadallah AT gmail DOT com
PGP Sig: 917E DDB7 C911 9EC1 0CD9  C06B 06C4 835F 0BB8 7336