[hpsdr] PTT and CW with Penelope

Roger Rehr 73w3sz at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 09:36:25 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I have several HPSDRs [Ozy/Penelope/Mercury] running, and am using
versions of software/firmware from early to recent.  With each one, I
have an annoying anomaly with PTT that I do NOT see with PowerSDR 1.16
and my Flex5000 or with WU2X PowerSDR/K3 IF Stage v0.92 and my K3.

Specifically, with the Penny/Merge PowerSDR 12Apr2009 or 10Jun2009 and
with Firmware either:
Ozy 20090201
Ozy 12
Mercury 26
Penelope 11

or

Ozy 20090524
Ozy 14
Mercury 27
Penelope 12

when I activate PTT via the 3.5 mm stereo connector on Penelope when
in CW mode, it causes Penelope to go to key down condition and send CW
carrier.  This is not as it should be, and not as it is with the other
non-HPSDR PowerSDR systems noted above.  What should happen when PTT
is activated is that Penelope should go to transmit mode, but not send
a carrier until the CW key is closed.

If I activate transmit mode by clicking on the MOX button this problem
does not occur.

I have tried various combinations of PowerSDR settings with no success
in correcting this misbehavior [including messing with:
disable PTT
All Mode Mic PTT
Break in Enabled].

PTT works as it should in voice modes.

I do have ring and mic jumpers set properly on Penelope [PTT to ring
and MIC to tip in my case].

Anyone else observe this?

What is the cure?

Thanks in advance,